Marketing and Advertising Financial Products RG 234
For many marketers over the years, the old adage of “not letting the truth get in the way of a good story” may have been all the justification they needed for pushing the boundaries with extravagant claims for all sorts of products. But for the financial services sector, the potential to do great harm by making unsubstantiated claims in advertising far outweighs the damage caused by unproven statements regarding the effectiveness of a teeth-whitening toothpaste.
The clear message from ASIC’s RG 234 is that advertisements for financial products and advice services must give clear, accurate and balanced messages.
What is RG 234?
RG 234 applies to any communication intended to advertise financial products, financial advice services, credit products or credit services. The good practice guidance detailed in RG 234 helps advertisers to comply with their legal obligations to not make false or misleading statements or engage in misleading or deceptive conduct. ASIC also hopes RG 234 will encourage promoters to create advertisements that help consumers make appropriate decisions.
About our RG234 course
Our online short course explores how compliant marketing and advertising fits into a licensee’s obligations. Learn strategies and approaches to promote compliance with RG 234 within your organisation.
What you will learn
- The factors that contributed to ASIC consulting on and issuing RG 234
- How to differentiate marketing and advertising from other forms of disclosure
- What marketing and advertising activities RG 234 covers and the key provisions/requirements
- How ASIC supervises compliance with RG 234 and what enforcement powers it has
- Where compliant marketing and advertising fits into a licensee’s obligations
- Strategies and approaches approving managers can adopt to promote compliance with RG 234 within their organisation.
Recognition of Prior Learning
You will be awarded a Certificate of Completion. It will be available online for you to download and print immediately.
CPD Area: Regulation